Pages

Monday 13 February 2012

Sew Weekly Theme: Red

As previously mentioned I've recently joined the Sew Weekly, which if you've never heard of it, is a website started and managed by the lovely Mena Trott. Anyone can join, whether you sew or are just a lover of handmade clothes.
Each week has a theme, last week was UFO (unfinished objects), which I didn't participate in, although now looking around the room I see a few neglected projects?!
This week to coincide with the most loved/loathed holiday of them all, Valentines Day, the theme is Red. You're encouraged, but not obliged, to sew a garment each week that relates to the chosen theme.

As I've very recently made a dress from a rather bright red hue, I've decided to go down the route of using a geometric pattern instead, more specifically, gingham.
I've also decided to stick with my recent sewing win, and make another blouse. This time using a recently bought Butterick 612 from (i'm guessing) the late 1950's, early 60's.
Now, I've cheated a little with the inspiration for this fabric as it's actually on one of the illustrations on the front.


But doesn't it look so cute?? To tell you the truth, I've had both of these cotton gingham prints sitting in my stash now for at least 18 months. Whenever I got close in the past to choosing it for a garment, I had flashbacks to when I was in Junior School. If you're not from the UK, you will have no idea what I'm on about. Basically it was school uniform for girls to wear summer dresses when the weather was hotter, and these dresses would either be blue, green, or red gingham.
But as the illustration looks pretty cute, and not school girl-like at all, I'm going to give this a whirl!

I've also decided to not make a muslin this time around as I'm fairly confident about the fit (famous last words). Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. Nice pattern and fabric, so, good luck and hope to see it finished =)

    ReplyDelete