Pages

Wednesday 29 February 2012

McCalls M6044: Update

So this week I've been delving into the otherside of sewing, menswear. This is the first time I've made anything for a man and so far there really isn't anything different.



The only obvious differences is that this shirt is not fitted, so no darts, and the sleeves have been split into 2 pieces meaning when I sew up the sides I carry on sewing to the sleeve hem.

I've been a bit of a slow sewer this week, and have only progressed a small amount really.
This is what I have so far....




So the pockets are on, the yokes are on, front & back are attached and the sleeves are on ready to be sewn with the side seams.


Next are the cuffs, front facings, collar, hem, then the snaps & buttons.

I also wanted to share what I've been using as interfacing for this project, and I'm wondering if anyone else has done this? When buying the fabric for this shirt my husband couldn't find good enough interfacing. The woman working in the fabric shop told him to use Aida fabric instead, which is primarily used for cross stitching. So on her advice he brought home a metre of the stuff, and so far I have to say if you're wanting very stiff cuffs, or pocket flaps etc.. this stuff works!




3 comments:

  1. Looks great so far! Interesting idea on the Aida fabric as interfacing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd very much like to make a shirt like this, using some light denim. Would be cool! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this pattern! I'm trying to find it as cheap as I can to save some money:) lol. Your shirt looks great! I want a chambray one for the hubby. btw: new follower here, would love for you to pass by my blog & fb page, check it out, maybe follow a fellow sewer?

    Reyna
    www.facebook.com/glamglory

    ReplyDelete