Pages

Saturday 14 January 2012

My Red Dress

Throughout the week I've been putting together the bodice of this pattern:


I know, I know, it's from 1987 and belongs on Julia Roberts in 'Pretty Woman'. I had every intention of seeing this through making minor changes along the way to attempt at 'modernizing' it (excluding shoulder pads, shortening the length etc...)  but somewhere between sewing the facings & putting the sleeves together I lost interest. It happens. 


This is as far as I got (sleeves are pinned on), I've already adjusted the armhole to try and get rid of the extra amount there for ridiculous shoulder pads, but it still doesn't look right to me? 
So in an attempt to have not completely wasted my time with this material, i'm using the cut skirt pieces and spare fabric I have left to make this..


I've already made this once here so I know I'm going to love it & get lots of wear from it.
So far half the bodice is done and I'm hopeful that I should have this finished this weekend.

In other news - I ventured out on my own to the next village along from me today, as I discovered there was a fabric shop on the small high street! As excited as I was, I was a little disappointed with the fabric range. They seemed to concentrate more on the home furnishings/curtain making side of fabric rather than dressmaking, however it should come in useful for the essentials. As I wandered along I dipped in and out of the standard charity shops that you get in UK, and wondered in amazement (and let out a small squeal of delight!) when right at the back of one stood a bookshelf FULL of vintage patterns!
JACKPOT!
After sifting through the atrocious 80's/90's patterns I found 2 (in my size) that were hard to say no to at just £1 each.


First up is Vogue 5308 from 1961 - a super cute shift dress shape with princess seams and a box pleated skirt. This was missing one piece however, but it was only the belt facing which isn't hard to replace. This will be perfect for a work dress in either a stiff cotton blend or even wool for the winter?


Then I have Style 4151 from 1973. How amazing does View 2 (Blue Dress) look? I'm a little bit in love with this design, and the instructions look super easy! (famous last words). 
This is going to be perfect for making some summer dresses in some cute cotton prints, or in synthetics like rayon.

I also bought this on Ebay this week


Simplicity 5645 from 1964. How cute are these variations?


I saw this and knew it should be mine!


So now I need to dig around my stash and start deciding what to make with what! 
I've been slowly turning my sewing room into a useable space, trying to de-clutter as much as I can.
I now have a somewhat clear workspace




A place to hang my vintage clothing


To store my jars of buttons


My fabric stash


My dressform, and my art supplies.

There are more things that I want to do with this room (time and money depending) in order to get it looking how I really want, but I have to bear in mind that this room is also supposed to function as a spare room for visitors!

Until next time!










No comments:

Post a Comment